livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Richard Heinberg: Fifty Million Farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Richard Heinberg: Fifty Million Farmers
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:25:13 -0700 (PDT)

Actually a good article , but I think his interpretation of the expansion period may be debatable. Just finished reading a book called 'measuring america' mostly about surveying and how it led to land allocation from the 1500's through the 1800's. A couple points it brought up:

1) Gunters surveyors 'chain' and surveying instruments like the theodelite led to a substantial change in farming practices. It changed how land was enclosed and viewed (the original acre was not a unit of size but an amount of land required to feed a family and dependant on soil and conditions). There was a close connection between measuring, commoditizing and driving peasants (and their local knowledge and practices) off the land. These also succeeded in transfering power and property from royal interests to the merchant classes. In some sense this was a set up for industrialized farming, although the transfer peaked at different times in different countries the basic pattern seems to have been the same.

2) The original minimum lot size in america was 640 acres (section, later becoming a half and then quarter section) which was not lowered to 40 acres until after the civil war when congress wanted to sell more land and the number of speculators was running out. Most of land acquisition in the early united states was the result of speculators and not settlers (contrary to jeffersons vision of a democracy), who paid fractions of what congress asked for per acre by buying up veterans warrants for fractions of their face value. Consequently most farming was 'absentee' and some of the current large holdings to date remain that way. These may be the basis of some industrial farm lands, but originally these holdings were not subdivided into workeable units as intended.

Not that I really disagree with the article, its also seemed to me that the switch to industrial farming was a longer term and more complex process than the post world war II mechanization history suggests. In a sense, it started with a search for measuring things differently. Anyway so far the book is pretty good.