livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel / was Ohio farm wars, big farms

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Grapes of Wrath the sequel / was Ohio farm wars, big farms
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:35:06 -0600

Always appropriate, isn't it. As for us here we grow for markets on less
than a quarter acre. It's not a living of course, and with a short
frost-free season, poor soil to start with and very low rainfall it's too
much work for us. But at least by holding costs down, recycling free
amendments, and doing without chemical inputs or tiller etc. it's 90%
profit. We believe that if all these conditions were better (and us
physically) we could actually make a living on less than an acre.
Demonstrating the viability of this for ourselves has been immensely
rewarding. It's also nice to hear customers say they haven't tasted
anything like this since their grandmother had a garden.

All of us exist in an economy where awful food is heavily subsidized in
many ways, and makes up a very low percentage of the average household
budget - compared to a century ago. Mass production from far away, fresh
everything out of season, absurdly cheap - it's all uphill for local
producers of real food at prices people can afford these days. Too many
local growers are aping the methods of industrial agribusiness - and hardly
know if they're even turning a profit. The industrial food system is just
getting too expensive and wasteful, with no end in sight. The forces behind
that are finally changing. Chemical inputs, gas and diesel, and machinery
aren't getting any cheaper, and people are afraid of the stuff in
supermarkets. Kids go deep into debt for degrees with no jobs to go to. Add
to that the fact that more millions are out of work and those jobs aren't
coming back, and you have a strange situation where people and land are
both idle and not producing the necessities of life - food, shelter, etc.

What's wrong with this picture? When will hard times force a massive back
to the land movement? How long will people do without to avoid actual
manual labor?

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

Many types of jobs will cease to exist: public relations executive,
marketing directors, et cetera. I think work will be very hands-on,
and a lot of it will revolve around food production.
-- James Howard Kunstler, 2003