livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Want a bumper tomato crop? Take a leak + Store It.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domike <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Want a bumper tomato crop? Take a leak + Store It.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 03:45:58 -0700 (PDT)

Doubtful that this study will be published in the USA! I have used urine for
years, to great effect. The important detail to note is that this experiment
used urine that had been stored 6 months, cooled. That is very different
from the article's catchy lead suggesting direct use on the garden. Urine is
sterile and also Anti-Microbial when new: note how a dog will kill the soil
around a favorite tag point, and so dogs have the reputation to kill bushes.
The dog kills the soil microbes.

So by all means find a few buckets (If plastic, preferably HDPE, not softer
plastics) to store your urine, especially practical with clean wood ashes.
Excellent soil conditioner, and compost accelerator, providing complex
nitrogen compounds that are the building blocks of proteins. See other uses
under "amaroli."
Zack

> Note: The high protein content is very interesting. This
> might make the
> crop less attractive to insects too
>
> http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/2883396/Want-a-bumper-tomato-crop-Take-a-leak
>
> Want a bumper tomato crop? Take a leak
>
> By CATHERINE WOULFE - Sunday Star Times
> Last updated 05:00 20/09/2009
>
> Next time there's a queue for the bathroom, pop outside and
> pee on the tomatoes - researchers have found that human urine is a
> highly effective fertiliser, producing huge crops packed with nutrients.
>
> And a panel of 20 brave tasters have decreed that urine
> makes tomatoes taste good, too.
>
> The researchers from the University of Kuopio in Finland
> believe their findings could be used by subsistence farmers, as urine is
> a safe, free alternative to expensive traditional fertilisers.

  • [Livingontheland] Want a bumper tomato crop? Take a leak + Store It., Zachary Domike, 09/21/2009