livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The thread on which civilization hangs 4

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The thread on which civilization hangs 4
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:31:26 -0600

The thread on which civilization hangs 4
http://www.grist.org/article/2009-08-10-soil-thread-civilization-hangs/

“Number one is that it [industrial agriculture] destroys soil. Absolutely and
completely. The soil is the only thread upon which civilization can exist,
and it’s such a narrow strip around the globe if a person could ever realize
that our existence depends on literally inches of active aerobic microbial
life on terra firma, we might begin to appreciate the ecological umbilical to
which we are all still attached. The food industry, I’m convinced, actually
believes we don’t need soil to live. That we are more clever than that.”
—Virginia farmer Joel Salatin, in an interview with Makenna Goodman for
Treehugger

  • [Livingontheland] The thread on which civilization hangs 4, Tradingpost, 08/25/2009