livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Natural fiber bird netting?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Natural fiber bird netting?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:58:06 -0800

Last year, the birds were tasting every one of my blackberries before they were ripe. I was using the bird netting on the peas, so I got a lacy cotton tablecloth at the thrift shop on dollar day (for $1). I've also used net and tulle from the fabric store, both polyester (a step above plastic). They're useful mostly if your plants have finished blooming, because they don't have big enough openings for bees.

This year, I had berries ripening while the flowers were blooming, so I used the bird netting -- not my favorite thing to use, since it gets tangled in everything whenever I have to move it aside for picking. I had to cut myself out of it yesterday because it caught on a button. I find the other materials much easier to work with.

If you go to your local fabric store or thrift shop, you may be able to find something that works. Instead of row cover, I've also used an old sheer tablecloth (also $1 at the thrift shop) and flexible pieces of window screening (free at the community garden). Bedsheets and curtains may work as well. At least in my garden, all I need to do is make it a little harder to get the fruit. My coverings don't usually reach the ground, and I don't secure all the bottom edges. I do clip together the edges with clothespins. Most birds don't bother flying under the edges (except for a sparrow I saw inside the bird netting the other day, who, as I approached, flew back out), and I don't see any predation.