livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] U.S. Dairy crisis

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] U.S. Dairy crisis
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:05:53 -0500

I'll make a plug for a book by a friend of mine here:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Inc-World-Became-Corporation/dp/1400066891/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246298651&sr=8-1

From Amazon review:

"The book starts with a telling anecdote: the author, Douglas Rushkoff got mugged on Christmas Eve in from of his Brooklyn apartment, and instead of getting sympathy, he was basically urged to shut up by local residents, afraid as they were that the incident would damage the reputation of their neighborhood, i.e. reduce the value of their home. "When faced with a local mugging, the community of Park Slope first thought to protect its brand instead of its people," Rushkoff writes. The anecdote is Rushkoff's starting point to analyze how, since the Renaissance, "the market and its logic have insinuated themselves into every area of our lives." He argues that they mediate every single aspect of our existence, disconnecting us from everything that surrounds us. The book is quite expectedly somewhat controversial -- yet may also be one of the most inspiring recent books for entrepreneurs and innovative marketers.

Chapter after chapter, the author recounts how charters disconnected us from commerce, how by mistaking the map for the territory, we got disconnected from place, how the real estate business disconnected us from home, public relations from one another, consumer empowerment from choice, a unified financial architecture from the meaning of currency, big business from the creation of value - and how many of our attempts to combat corporate power are likely to disconnect us even more. "Brands were invented to substitute for the real connections we had to people, places and values."
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>

New day same pattern in my opinion. Ok so the trend for big dairy is the same
as big grain, etc, offshore operations for cheaper labor in an environment
that regulates them less, recreate the same industrial model, and then when
it fails move on to exploit the next spot.

I'm all in favor of trading excesses, but whats happened with gatt and the like is no
different than handing a dangerous weapon to a child. If most of the proponents of it
came forward and said 'Were pretty bad at what we do we fail at it regularly, and we'd
like to do that more rapidly more places' I sort of doubt there would be confirmed
globalists trying to explain how globalism didn't contribute to a global recession
today. Can't imagine a kid explaining to its parent "I'm real clumsy and I don't
know anything about combustion , so would it be alright if I borrowed your
lighter?"