livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Vs. Conventional: Been

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Vs. Conventional: Been
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:52:29 -0700 (PDT)

The problem I see with the "I don't need no Gov't stamp" stance is that it does not acknowledge that most peeps out there need a simple solution to fit into their lives.  Most peeps have lives, jobs, kids, elderly parents, spouses that don't take care of themselves, houses that don't take care of themselves. It is all a little exhausting.  We have a moral and health interest but need something simple enough that we can fit it all in.  An "Organic" label fitted that bill.  It only makes us all mad that they've screwed it up.

Telling people that they just have to "believe" some guy they don't know, over a Government we all <snicker> trust so well....  I'm just thinking that this is a bit incomplete as a dialog.

Let me try and say what I am thinking (Little under the weather this week) Our (the general public's) problem is getting produce that is fresh, healthy and sustainable in a somewhat verifiable way.  We also don't want to burden our farmers with things that are unbearable and, worse, tend to make life easier for factory farms than for real live family farms.

The Organic Consumers group has been talking up an alternative to NAIS as being something to break up the foul conditions of the factory farms.  This is what appeals to me as a consumer and city-dweller.  Breaking up both the massive ubber-farms and city sprawls with more integrally associated small family farms gardens and communities.  People who are capable of knowing each other.  Maybe the USDA would still be checking up on our farmers, but so would the local people.

Well, my mind is a little plowed between the flu and the vicodin.  I hope you can get my point anyhow.

Yours, Pego

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Vs. Conventional: Been, Pego Rice, 05/15/2009