livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] a reply to an uninformed argument

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] a reply to an uninformed argument
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:17:46 -0700 (PDT)

Fair enough, but I think banks function differently than farms, a banks input is someone else's money and its output is someone else's money along with a promise of accruing more of someone else's money. In that sense subsidizing CRP programs is the equivalent of the fdic, subsidizing grain for dumping in other countries in order to route existing farms abroad is closer to what goldman sacs is getting with its current subsidies.

We probably still would have some scale of ethanol production without subsidies (there were years prior to farm subsidies that corn and even beets took precipitous drops in the market) , but probably not as long as GATT and NAFTA were in place. Don't get me wrong, as far as I understand it the current subsidy structure isn't useful, balanced, or fair in any sense, but subsidizing small scale farming and distributing subsidies more evenly than to the big 5 (where 95% of them go now), seems essential to security.