livingontheland - [Livingontheland] G20 puts cut-price Jamie on menu

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] G20 puts cut-price Jamie on menu
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:24:11 -0700

G20 puts cut-price Jamie on menu
(Agencies)
Updated: 2009-03-25 19:14
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2009-03/25/content_7616784.htm

Jamie Oliver has been invited by Gordon Brown to cook a banquet at No 10
for President Barack Obama and other leaders of the G20, offering a
cut-price menu to reflect recessionary times.

Downing Street sources say the celebrity chef will cook using “honest
high-street products” and avoid expensive or “fancy” ingredients.

The prime minister is keen to avoid a repeat of the embarrassment last year
when he sat down to an 18-course gastronomic extravaganza at a Japanese
summit to discuss world food shortages.

Obama, President Nicolas Sarkozy of France, Chancellor Angela Merkel of
Germany and other leaders will be served by apprentices from Fifteen, the
London restaurant Oliver founded to help train underprivileged young
people.

Brown wants the dinner next week to reflect the emphasis of the London
summit, which he hopes will lead to an agreement to lift the world out of
recession. “To be invited to cook for such an important group of people
who are trying to solve some of the world's major problems, well that
really is a privilege,” said Oliver.

“I'm hoping the menu I'm working on will show British food and produce is
some of the best in the world, but also show we have pioneered a
high-quality apprentice scheme at Fifteen London that is giving young
people a skill to be proud of.”

The chef has yet to finalise the menu, but is expected to draw inspiration
from his latest book, Jamie's Ministry of Food, which has budget recipes
for beef and ale stew and “mega” chocolate fudge cake.

This week Brown leaves fora six-day world tour to build support for his
proposed “global new deal”.

The journey culminates with a gathering of centre-left leaders at Vina del
Mar, a Chilean beach resort.

Back home, there are fears that the London summit will be marred by violent
protests from anticapitalist demonstrators. The security operation is
expected to cost at least £7m.

  • [Livingontheland] G20 puts cut-price Jamie on menu, Tradingpost, 03/30/2009