livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] On prioritizing organic purchases

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] On prioritizing organic purchases
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:31:59 -0400

CR also
pooh-poohs organic seafood, because no U.S. certification exists, and
organic cosmetic products, based in part on another report from EWG,
because they apparently are often fraudulent. Egad.

Considering what's in most cosmetics, it would be better to just quit using them altogether. A paste of baking soda and water does a great job in place of shampoo, and it's very easy to make a simple lotion out of distilled water, olive or other oils, beeswax and a bit of essential oil. Add the contents of a couple of capsules of vitamin E for preservation (or keep it in the fridge), and you've got all the moisturizer you need.

I know how much controversy a discussion of cosmetics can generate, but my own personal opinion is that women will never be really free as long as they think they have to smear stuff on their faces to be attractive. </soapbox>

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com