livingontheland - [Livingontheland] veggie trader

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] veggie trader
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:51:51 -0700

http://www.veggietrader.com/

We believe a bonanza of fruits, vegetables,
fresh herbs and more are found right in your
own backyard—and your neighbors’ yard too.

It's local, affordable and sustainable, but we've noticed
a lot of it goes to waste. You plant too many tomatoes,
or your plum tree has a bumper crop, most of which is
enjoyed by the sidewalk and the grass...

So we’ve launched Veggie Trader – a free resource for
bringing good food and good people together. Wish you
could turn your excess plums into lemons, or maybe even
a little cash? Use this site to find neighbors to swap with
or sell your excess produce to. Or if you specialize in growing tomatoes,
find neighbors who
specialize in other produce and form networks to share in the variety. Even
if you don't have
a garden, Veggie Trader is your place for finding local food near you.
We’re just getting started!

Everything starts out small, but we believe Veggie Trader can become an
important resource for
growing strong local food communities. Be among the first in your
neighborhood to list your excess
produce for sale or trade, and then see what happens... Give it some time
and spread the word.
We hope this site will grow and grow, but we need your help!

How Veggie Trader Works

Using Veggie Trader is free and easy. It works like classified advertising.
You post a listing describing the excess produce you have and what you'd
like in return, and then you wait for a response...

Or, if you're looking for local produce, you simply enter your zipcode and
see what your neighbors have available. You can also post specific produce
you’re looking for in our Wanted section and see which of your neighbors
answers your request.

Get started by following these four steps:
1) Join the Community

Registering on Veggie Trader is quick, absolutely free, and the first thing
you need to do to get started. Registering allows you to post and manage
your listings, browse listings, and contact other registered Veggie Traders
anonymously until you're ready to make a trade, sale or purchase. The
information you give us when registering is private, and we don’t sell
your information to outsiders (view our Privacy Policy for details).
how Veggie Trader works

2) Browse or Post Listings

Once registered, you can view produce available near you by clicking the
Search Listings button and then entering your zip code in our search bar:
Veggie Trader Search Bar
To make browsing for what you want easier, listings are broken down into
basic categories (vegetables, fruits, nuts, herbs, etc.), but you can also
use a text search to quickly find specific items you're looking for, as in
the example search above.
See Larger Screenshot

Hit the Post Listings button to post for free produce you have available
for trade or sale. Choose the category (vegetables, fruits, nuts, herbs,
etc.) that best suits what you have to offer and enter your zip code. If
you have both fruits and vegetables to offer, we recommend duplicating your
post in both applicable sections in order to give your listing the best
possible exposure. Don't forget to talk about what you're looking for in
your posting!

» Click here for more posting tips.

3) Close the deal

Always use common sense when completing transactions with people you meet
through Veggie Trader. Until you get to personally know other Veggie
Traders in your neighborhood, we recommend meeting in public places to
swap, sell, or buy produce. If you ever have a negative experience, please
report it to us.
4) Read below for rules, legal stuff, and other things you should know

Buying, selling, and trading homegrown produce is a great idea, but there
are a few rules and other things you need to know before you get started:

how Veggie Trader worksLicenses: Some states require a license before you
can sell or trade your homegrown produce. Many have no such requirements.
Please check with your local authorities and/or your state’s Department
of Agriculture to be certain you are in compliance with state and local
laws before using Veggie Trader. Veggie Trader makes no claims regarding
any required permits, licenses or regulatory compliance by a buyer, trader
or seller. Each party is responsible for complying with the regulations
that apply to them.

Taxes: Trading across state lines may subject you to state taxes. Also,
many states include sales tax for trades equal to the market value of what
the produce is worth. Veggie Trader makes no claims regarding any taxes
individual buyers and sellers may be responsible for. Please check with
your local authorities to determine if you are subject to taxes on trades
or sales.

Quarantine zones: Also, check with your state’s Department of Agriculture
to be certain you are observant of any quarantine zones that may be in
effect in your area. This is your responsibility. Veggie Trader does not
promote and is not responsible for any violation of quarantine regulations
by a seller, trader, or buyer. Veggie Trader does not control sales and/or
trades and therefore has no ability to regulate the individuals who utilize
this site. Transporting produce, plants, seeds or other products regulated
under quarantine regulations is a violation of the law, so please conduct
yourself accordingly. Because of different quarantine regulations on a
state by state basis, we recommend you don’t trade, buy, or sell with
people outside of your state and/or county.
San Francisco Bay Area Residents, please note:
Because of a comprehensive produce quarantine in place for most of your
region due to the light brown apple moth, we unfortunately can't allow
items under quarantine to be posted on Veggie Trader. For more specific
information on the quarantine and the areas affected, please refer to the
California state department of agriculture website.

how Veggie Trader worksPesticides: If you are concerned about pesticides,
please ask the people you swap with or buy from if and what pesticides they
may have used. Veggie Trader is not involved in the actual transaction
between buyers and sellers and does not take title or ownership to any
products listed on this site. We are not responsible for any pesticides or
harmful agents that may have been added to produce at any time including
before, during, or after harvesting.

Prohibited Items: Veggie Trader is intended for the buying, selling, and
trading of homegrown produce only. Posting meat, eggs, dairy products, or
any illegal items is prohibited and a violation of our Terms of Use.

US Only: Veggie Trader is intended for local use within US communities and
prohibits members from importing or exporting food into or out of the
United States through use of the site.

Please read our Terms of Use for more complete information and rules for
using Veggie Trader. If there is a conflict, the Terms of Use supersedes
anything written here.

Finally, please visit our FAQ to answer any other questions you may have on
how Veggie Trader works. You can also contact us with any questions or
feedback. We’re always happy to hear
from you.

Eight tips for creating great listings on Veggie Trader:

Tip 1: When describing the produce you have available, be as specific as
possible regarding the variety so other members can see exactly what you
have. For example, describe your tomatoes as "roma tomatoes" instead of
simply "tomatoes".

Tip 2: Make sure to choose the proper Trade Type when prompted. The
options are For Trade, For Sale, For Trade or Sale, or Wanted.

Tip 3: If you are looking to trade, or if you are making a Wanted listing,
be specific about what you are looking
for under Produce Wanted. If you are looking to sell your produce, leave
Produce Wanted blank and be
sure to mention how much money you’re looking for in the Listing Details.

Tip 4: Be specific about the size, quantity, and qualities of the produce
you have available in the Listing Details, as well as what you're looking
to trade for or how much you are looking to sell your produce for. For
example, you might write something like this in your listing details:

I have several dozen large Meyer lemons available. These are great
for juicing. I'm interested in trading them for plums. I will also sell
them at three for a dollar…

Tip 5: If you will listen to any offer, please mention this in Listing
Details as well.
Say something like: "I will listen to other offers…" or "All offers
welcome…"

Tip 6: We recommend you don't include contact information in your listing
(such as your e-mail address or telephone number) unless you want people to
contact you directly. Our system allows you to be contacted and respond to
other Veggie Trader members anonymously once you've posted a listing. You
don’t need to reveal your contact info until you feel comfortable doing
so.

Tip 7: If you have multiple types of produce available (i.e. veggies and
fruits), we recommend creating separate listings for each individual item
to give your produce as much visibility as possible and to help make sure
other members can find your produce quickly and easily.

Tip 8: If you can, upload a photo of your produce. Let everyone see what
delicious produce you’ve grown and have to offer!

  • [Livingontheland] veggie trader, Tradingpost, 03/27/2009