livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 'Most of What We Eat Is not Real Food'

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 'Most of What We Eat Is not Real Food'
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:59:21 -0500

Very interesting interview, but it highlights one reason that I think food riots are unlikely here. The kind of processed "pretend food" that most Americans eat has not taken over the cuisine of most other places in the world, where food tends to resemble much more closely what it started out as. Go into almost any Hispanic or Asian grocery store in the US and you'll see food. Raw food. Yes, lots of bottled sauces and ramen noodles too, but far more actual food per square foot of sales area than in most chain supermarkets.

When food is in short supply in other countries, there is little else to substitute for it. Here, the penny-pinching mother just reaches lower on the shelf for the "store brand" box of chemicals instead of the one with the well known brand name on it. Our food factories have a long way to go before they exhaust the ways of making those chemicals cheaper.

And if this sounds sarcastic and bitter, yes, it is.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>