livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Solar and Wind are not renewable.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: SALTMINES@aol.com
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: SALTMINES@aol.com, TheStarNav@aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Solar and Wind are not renewable.
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 10:32:56 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2009 10:02:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tradingpost@lobo.net writes

The opening statement:

"Solar and Wind are not renewable. The energy from solar and from wind is
available but not renewable. An oak tree is renewable. A horse is
renewable. They reproduce themselves."

and:

"As fossil fuels become less available, judicious use of the remaining
reserves becomes even more important. We must come to realize that fossil
fuels (as well as concentrated sources of minerals) are a gift from the
earth and previous to life. To mistakenly call solar or wind energy
renewable and include the capturing mechanisms leads to both false hopes
and perhaps poor allocation of limited fossil fuels and funds.",

might be modified by the following observation:

It seems to me that 'down the road', as we extract more and more energy from solar/tidal/hydro/wind generation techniques, it is the energy from those sources that will be used to create the next round and continuing generations of energy.  Eventually there would be no reliance on any fossil 'fuels' for energy, though they would still be needed for producing various lubricants, plastics and manufacturing processes.

In a sense it's going to be sort of like the 'replicatiors' of science fiction (and the non-fiction of nano engine replication!).

Viewed in this light (!) solar, wind, and other 'on-going' accessible sources of usable energy could be seen as renewable.

Just my thoughts; comforting, at least to me.

Stephen (staying warm in West Michigan)