livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The World Turned Upside Down

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The World Turned Upside Down
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:37:26 -0800 (PST)

It may actually even be necessary pretty soon. Liability issues are probably the biggest hurdle, followed by a lack of awareness of local governments. The will is there I think. We had a couple cases of local groups trying to recapture/reuse commercial property for farming, one case worked out a local pharma co allowed some of their property to be used for growing grapes, in the other case the city council decided that low-cost housing and potential tax revenue was more comprehensible to them than preserving a small parcel of land for farming.

The idea of brokering these relationships seems pretty good overall. Here were liability is a bigger concern, I think it would require some assistance with legal/liability issues, and some tips/assistance getting local city governments to view it as in their clients interests. Maybe tax incentives (after all its effectively agricultural land if used that way) might bring businesses on board, while some give backs to localities on local tax or maintenance might make them interested.