livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pickled Eggs Recipes?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: three feathers <threecrowfeathers@yahoo.com>
  • To: OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pickled Eggs Recipes?
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:30:23 -0800 (PST)

Jimi--

There must be some sort of "collective" focus on pickled eggs this week.....this topic has been on a food preserving list as well----plus, the young'un has been harping at me to make a batch......have some eggs boiling as i type  :o)

Here are the recipes that were on the other list.......maybe there will be one or more that will suit your fancy. However, i don't know if any of these

Hopefully, you'll find one to fit your tastebuds. When i make our batch later today, i'll try to take note of what and  how much of what i'm using and share it with you as well. But i usually "eyeball" ingredients and amounts, based on the young'un's taster  :o)

However, it's not safe, nor do i know of a way to safely store pickled eggs outside refrigeration, altho many bars, convenience stores and mom-n-pop stores have them sitting on the counter

Here is a link for information from the National Center for home food preservation, about pickling eggs......then you can make your own decision about leaving them out on the counter
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

Good luck!

Bless you and all our military people around the globe--

3f
mom of an Iraq Vet  :o)

Here is the post---

Absolutely, these were the 6 I made. I brought all ingredients to a boil for
a few minutes, then allowed the brine to cool well and covered the eggs.

RED BEET EGGS
1 cup red beet juice (from canned beets)
1½ cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
a few canned whole tiny red beets (or several slices of beets can be used)

SWEET AND SOUR EGGS
1½ cups pasteurized apple cider
½ cup cider vinegar
1 package (about 12 oz.) red cinnamon candy
1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt

DARK AND SPICY EGGS
1½ cups cider vinegar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon mixed pickling spice
¼ teaspoon liquid smoke or hickory smoke salt
2 teaspoons salt

DILLED EGGS
1½ cups white vinegar
1 cup water
¾ teaspoon dill weed
¼ teaspoon white pepper
3 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon mustard seed
½ teaspoon onion juice or minced onion
½ teaspoon minced garlic or 1 peeled garlic clove

PICKLED EGGS
1 Tablespoon pickling salt
1.5 Cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1.5 teaspoons sugar
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon crushed white pepper corns
1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
2 shallots, sliced thin

SPICY EGGS
2 Tablespoons salt
6 fresh chili peppers (such as Serrano) slit lengthwise
1.5 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon minced ginger
1 Tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~  Henry David Thoreau