livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Additions to my website re small broiler markets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Additions to my website re small broiler markets
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:42:50 -0500

Hi All,

I've just posted 4 new articles to my website which may be of interest to folks contemplating a small broiler enterprise to serve local markets.

"Stepping Up to Production for a Small Broiler Market: Thinking It Through" and "Serving a Small Broiler Market: Three Examples"
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Broiler+Market.html
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Small+Broiler+Market.html
are based on my belief that anyone who has mastered the lore and skills to produce all the family's dressed poultry will not be greatly challenged with the next step--increasing output enough to serve local markets at the small end of the scale--affording opportunities for additional income or diversifying existing market/farm operations.

To make a broiler operation a paying proposition, using a mechanical plucker is a must. I've posted two articles, "The Whizbang: An Affordable Homemade Poultry Plucker" and "Building the Whizbang Plucker":
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Whizbang+Plucker.html
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Building+Plucker.html
Lots of info on Herrick Kimball's design, getting his manual, ordering specialty parts, etc.

BTW, David Schafer's "Featherman" is a more affordable assembled plucker than the typical stainless-steel high-end models:
http://featherman.net/pluckers.html

If you've been thinking about a small broiler operation, or if you know someone who is, please check out these offerings. Ultimately, it's about creating and making available superior food, and revitalizing our entire rural sector.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

Our model citizen is a sophisticate who before puberty understands how to
produce a baby, but who at the age of thirty will not know how to produce a
potato. ~Wendell Berry

  • [Livingontheland] Additions to my website re small broiler markets, Harvey Ussery, 01/29/2009