livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Homegrown Standards

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Homegrown Standards
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:04:31 -0500

Very glad to see this. As I inspect more and more small produce stands and farmer's markets, I'm also seeing signs that say "Grown with organic practices" or something similar.

Look for a lawsuit from some agri-business saying they can't use the "homegrown" label, or something to obstruct them. I'd like to think that things are changing, but Monsanto et al still seem to have a death grip on farming.

One comment--the USDA inspector that was referenced in one paragraph could possibly have been a contractor who was not permitted to answer questions. I get indignant responses all the time when I say I don't know what inventory a store is required to have to accept food stamps, or whether this particular store needs to stock baby food, etc. I do know, only because of many years of doing the work, but the contractors are not allowed to answer questions like that. We aren't USDA employees (even though, in spite of being told up front that we're not, most store owners still assume we are). We don't get the same kind of training and updates that the USDA employees get and we aren't allowed to answer questions or make judgments about the premises. I don't know whether the organic program inspectors are contractors or not, but if they are, that's why she couldn't answer questions, not because she didn't know anything.

One store owner tracked me down in the parking lot as I was leaving her store and yelled at me, "Looks to me like I know more about this than you do!" Which was probably true.

Liz
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>