livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 24 THINGS ABOUT TO BECOME EXTINCT

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 24 THINGS ABOUT TO BECOME EXTINCT
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:42:26 -0500

Especially #1, and most of the others of importance for survival.
Jimi

24 THINGS ABOUT TO BECOME EXTINCT..KIND OF SAD.
24 THINGS ABOUT TO BECOME EXTINCT

This is the sort of thing you see every year about this time--predictions of how it's gonna be. Well, I'll add a 25th.

(25) About to become extinct: The notion that we have a clue about how it's gonna be.

The whole assumption behind such lists is that the future is going to be a linear progression from the past. *Most* unlikely in the present context. The only thing I'm assuming about developments for '09 is a radical fracturing of those lines into a predictable future. After that, all bets are off.

That applies to #1 as well--the end of the small family farm. As the energy/economic crisis deepens, there should certainly be a natural *tendency* to reconstitute the smaller, more diverse, more people-power farm serving local markets, with lots of attendant benefits. But the future is shaped not only by natural solutions, but by political power and greed. So the worse the food equation becomes, the more we're going to hear "feed the world" bullshit from megagiants like Monsanto and Archer Daniels Midland as an accompaniment to their grab for available resources--meaning the food/farm situation could get even worse in the short term.

Like I said, all bets are off.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

Were agroterrorists to poison the food supply, they'd find it hard to make their
attacks stand out against background levels of 76 million cases of illness, 300,000
hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths every year from "ordinary" foodborne
disease in the United States. If they wanted to poison the wells, they'd have to
compete against levels of pesticide-related poisoning [and contamination by nitrates]
of up to one in four wells. . . ~Raj Patel