livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Now is the time to start plants for the new Farmers Market Season

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Desert Eagle" <jimi@hdc-nm.com>
  • To: "Desert Eagle" <jimi@hdc-nm.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Now is the time to start plants for the new Farmers Market Season
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:59:28 -0700

If I had a nickel for each time I was asked how I had vine ripe tomatoes in
June I could rival Bill Gates in bank accounts. It is not magic, and it is
not hard, it is simply timing and planning.

Right now I have tomato starts working in my six packs. As soon as I have
them up enough to have 4 true leaves I start my process. And it is simple.
When they reach this size I transplant them to new larger containers. But
first, I trim off the first false leaves, and when I transplant I bury them
to within a fraction of an inch of the first true leaves.

I give them a good drink with either compost tea or a liquid fertilizer,
place them back under the grow lights and on the heat pads. As they continue
to grow I continue to move them to larger containers, each time clipping off
the lower leaves and burying them to within an inch of the primary leaves,
and giving them a good feeding each time. Normally, the 3rd or 4th
transplant will have them in 4 to 6 inch containers.

About 4 weeks before the last frost date I start hardening them up by moving
them outside on days when it will definitely be above 40ยบ for a few hours at
first, them more each day that is warm. I move them back inside each night
to a warmer climate, but not too warm.

What I have developed is a compact plant with a large root ball and very
healthy. About a week before the last frost date I start moving them to
their places in the garden. This is where I make changes from what most are
taught.

I start with a post hole digger, and make 6"+ holes about a foot+ deep. I
place about 2"s of compost in the bottom, with about 1" of soil on top of
that. I trim off the lowest few leaves from the plant and place it in the
hole after removing it from the container. Note; Separate the lower portion
of the root ball without tearing apart the hair like roots. At this point I
water it in well, then use a mixture of 1/3rd compost and 2/3rds soil to
close in around the plant to within 1" of the lowest leaves. Note #2; the
upper leaves should be at least 1" below the top of the "post hole".

I then place 2 each of 2 or 3 liter soda bottles filled 3/4 full of water
next
to each plant. I also place 1each 3 liter bottle, with the bottom cut out
over
each plant as a mini greenhouse. I leave the lid off during the day and
place it back on each evening.

The plants normally go into the ground about March 1. As they grow out of
the post holes I gradually trim off the lowest leaves and add the 1/3-2/3rd
mix each time to just below the upper full leaves.

By mid April I can remove the mini greenhouse bottles and water bottles and
the plants are well established. About every 3 weeks I give them a good
drink of compost tea and start training them up either tomato cages, or my
favorite, hog wire trellises that I add to each raised bed.

Note 3; I also plant my carrots around the first of April around the plants
and plan on what bean or other plants I will intercrop with them.

Usually, by the first of June I will start getting my first blooms, and
fresh vine ripe fruits by mid month. Then with care and attention I will
have vine fresh Tomatoes up till the first frost.

This year we hope to have over 30 varieties of Heirloom tomatoes for the
farmers market, ourselves, local restaurants and friends.

Hope this helps everyone to get started, and an abundant year with your
gardens.

Note, I am in SE NM, Zone 7B, so hardening dates and times may very for you,
but, if you work my plan, I guarantee that you will have fresh fruits
earlier than anyone else around you.

Jimi
NM Certified Master Gardener
Desert Eagle Farms
A Privately operated
Agricultural Research Facility
To Grow a garden is to believe in tomorrow
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Lakewood, NM 88254