livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Biointensive farming uses less water, land, machinery, and fertilizer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Biointensive farming uses less water, land, machinery, and fertilizer
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:32:24 -0700

Bio-Intensive Mini-Gardens--Recipe for Survival
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_3659.cfm

* Cultivating Our Garden
Biointensive farming uses less water, land, machinery, and fertilizer
By John Jeavons
Context Institute--Reposted by GlobalCircle.net, 12.24.06
Straight to the Source
http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC42/Jeavons.htm

"They're making people every day,
but they ain't makin' any more dirt."
- Will Rogers

A sustainable community involves a dynamic inter-dependent relationship
between each of us and the resources that sustain our lives. Rather than
shirking human labor, trying to reduce the amount of it used or to increase
its productivity in unsustainable ways, we need to exalt in its proper use
and the maintenance of the very muscles involved in an effective human life.
Properly performed, labor is not tedious or enervating, but strengthening
and rewarding.

Using resources more efficiently - doing more with less - allows us to use
our personal energy more effectively. The field of electronics was recently
miniaturized on this basis. In fact, the world is on the verge of a major
new discovery - that there are major economies of small scale, such as the
miniaturization of agriculture. The sophisticated low-technology techniques
and the approaches involved in this kind of food-raising will make possible
truly sustainable agricultural practices globally.
Biointensive Mini-Farming

This miniaturization of agriculture is not new. Small-scale sustainable
agriculture has supported such widely dispersed civilizations as the Chinese
4,000 years ago, and the Mayans, South Americans, and Greeks 2,000 years
ago.

Ecology Action has dedicated almost a quarter-century to rediscovering the
scientific principles that underlie these traditional systems. The people in
Biosphere II in Arizona have been using techniques based on those outlined
by Ecology Action: they raised 80 percent of their food for two years within
a "closed system." Their experience demonstrates that a complete year's diet
for one person can be raised on the equivalent of 3,403 square feet!

This is an improvement over traditional Chinese practices, which required
5,000 to 7,200 square feet. In contrast, it takes commercial agriculture
22,000 to 42,000 square feet to grow all the food for one person for one
year, while bringing in large inputs from other areas. At the same time,
commercial agricultural practices are causing the loss of approximately six
pounds of soil for each pound of food produced.

Biointensive mini-farming techniques make it possible to grow food using 99
percent less energy in all forms - human and mechanical, 66 percent to 88
percent less water, and 50 percent to 100 percent less fertilizer, compared
to commercial agriculture. They also produce two to six times more food and
build the soil.

The Biointensive Method

The basics of this whole-system approach can be summarized as follows:

Most life in nature occurs at the interface of soil, water, air and sun.
Biointensive soil preparation practices create growing beds with more
surface area to maximize the effect of nature's life processes. Double-dug
beds, with soil loosened to a depth of 24 inches, aerate the soil,
facilitate root growth, and improve water retention. The health and vigor of
the soil are maintained through the use of compost. Close seeding spacing is
used to protect the soil microorganisms, reduce water loss, and maximize
yields. Companion planting facilitates the optimal use of nutrients, light
and water, encourages beneficial insects and creates a vibrant
mini-ecosystem within the garden. The use of open-pollinated seeds helps to
preserve genetic diversity and enables gardeners to develop their own
acclimatized cultivars.

A focus on the production of calories for the gardener and carbon for the
soil ensures that both the gardener and the soil will be adequately fed and
that the farm will be sustainable.

How can the soil's nutrient fertility be preserved with agriculture
continuously removing nutrients as one crop is harvested after another? One
answer is surprising. Each person's urine and manure contain approximately
enough nutrients to produce enough food to feed that person. However, those
nutrients are not enough when they are spread thinly over the one-half to
one acre that it takes mechanized commercial agriculture to produce that
person's food.

Biointensive mini-farms require much less area to produce the same yield of
crops, so the nutrients contained in one person's wastes can be applied in a
more concentrated way. This enables the nutrients to be fully effective, and
high yields can result.

Because of this higher productivity, Biointensive practices could allow
one-half to three-quarters of the world to be left in wild for the
preservation of plant and animal diversity.

It has been said that Biointensive practices might make it possible to grow
food for all the people in the US in just the area now used for lawns. This
possibility could mean thriving agriculturally self-reliant cities with
'green belts' to produce all their food.

Scarcity vs. Abundance

Scarcity can be changed into abundance when sustainable, resource-conserving
agricultural practices are used.

* The world continues to deplete its soils approximately 7 to 80 times
faster with conventional forms of agriculture - even with organic
practices - than they are built up in nature. Probably only 50 to 100 years'
worth of world soil productivity remains for us to use. We are rapidly
depleting the soil base upon which civilization depends. In contrast,
sustainable Biointensive farming, if used properly, can build the soil up to
60 times faster than in nature while producing more food and conserving
resources.
* Economically, conventional agriculture in the US produces on the
average up to $100 per sixteenth of an acre; the net return on a $500,000
investment on the average 500-acre farm is about $12,000, or a little over 2
percent. We are depleting our agricultural economic base and indirectly our
farming community base. Biointensive economic mini-farming, in contrast, can
produce up to $20,000 on a sixteenth of an acre through increased yields,
decreased resource use, and direct marketing. It also offers a foundation
for community-based agriculture.
* The average age of the US farmer is 55, with few young people entering
farming. In fact, 0.2 percent of the population of the US is producing most
of the nation's food. We are depleting the nation's skill base. With
mini-farming approaches, everyone can be part of the rebuilding of farming
skills wherever they are.
* 75 percent of all the seeds ever used in agriculture are estimated to
have become extinct by 1990. Ninety five percent are expected to be extinct
by the year 2000. We are depleting our genetic base by overdependence on too
few highly specialized varieties. It is interesting to note that many, if
not most, normal open-pollinated crop varieties will produce equally high
Green Revolution-type yields with a fraction of the resources and few insect
and disease problems when Biointensive techniques are used because of the
healthy soil they produce.
* Conventional agriculture uses 100 times the energy in mechanical and
human forms per pound of food produced, compared to Biointensive farming.
This is because of current agriculture's heavy dependence on machines and
energy-intensive chemical fertilizers. We are depleting our energy base.
Sustainable Biointensive practices, in contrast, recycle nutrients and are
productive enough to be done manually without high energy consumption.
* Agriculture accounts for 80 percent of all the water used by people on
this planet, and dozens of countries already have insufficient water for
growing all the food needed for their populations. Further, the agricultural
practices being used do not generally conserve water in our soil. The result
is that we are in the process of depleting our available water base.
Biointensive practices use a third to an eighth the water per pound of food
produced as conventional farming practices. Thus, the amount of water
available for farming, which is currently insufficient, can be more than
enough.

It Is Simple to Begin

The thought of beginning to learn to grow all one's own food seems
overwhelming, but Ecology Action has designed a small one-bed growing unit
from which to begin growing personalized solutions. This unit is a
100-square-foot bed that includes equal areas of compost, diet, and income
crops. As we improve each 100-square-foot area of soil in our backyards or
on our farms, we begin to understand our climate and the varieties of plants
that thrive in our own micro-climates and mini-ecosystems. Each small
portion that we grow of our own food enables us to better appreciate the
farmers whose food we buy.

Voltaire in Candide suggests that if we each tend our own "garden," the
entire world will be transformed. In the process, all of our work will be
filled with meaning. In this way, we will "grow people" who possess a whole
new understanding: that we must grow soil rather than crops - create rather
than consume. When we do so, the harvest for our nourishment will be
abundant beyond our greatest expectations!

John Jeavons is known internationally for his work developing small-scale
sustainable food production techniques. His food-raising techniques are
being used in 108 countries, rich and poor.

Ecology Action, founded 24 years ago, has taught the Biointensive method to
organizations and individuals in over 100 countries through tours and
workshops, and more than 30 publications - some in other languages. For more
information, write to Ecology Action, 5798 Ridgewood Road, Willits, CA
95490-9730.

  • [Livingontheland] Biointensive farming uses less water, land, machinery, and fertilizer, Tradingpost, 11/30/2008