livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] this time we don't have the family farms to fall back on

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] this time we don't have the family farms to fall back on
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:22:02 -0400

"As James H. Kunstler has reminded us lately, in that last great greed-induced
deflationary spiral, called the Great Depression, the US had not yet squandered its
vast oil and gas reserves, its productive industrial base, demeaned and vanquished its
proud and self-conscious working class, depopulated its agricultural landscape, emptied
and beggared its great cities." ~quoted by Paul

And this disconcerting litany could go on and on: This time we have a vastly increased population to feed. This time only a minuscule fraction of that population has a clue about where food comes from or what's required to grow and preserve it. This time the food system is not locally or even regionally based--it is an anonymous, centralized global system increasingly subject to disruption of its abundant, just-in-time wonders. This time the natural systems on which agriculture depends--soils, water systems, climate, species diversity--are in much more critical decline than in 1929.

Could be a doozie.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

I truly believe that as long as we have not found peace with the soil, we
won't find peace above the ground. That as long as we justify the
exploitation of any organism, other exploitations will follow and we will
remain parasites, consuming more than participating, and spiralling into
entropy until we commit mass suicide. ~Emilia Hazelip