livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Jujube (was Re: Running dry)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Jujube (was Re: Running dry)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:40:57 -0400

Looks like we are going to have to grow our own fuel for tractors and other critically necessary machines to produce locally. Alcohol is the only alternative to run these on a local basis. Water must be allocated to produce these and local fuel to run the stills must be gathered. (firewood and other forest waste, etc.) ~Lynn at Sun Farm, NM

An interesting option for feedstock for fuel alcohol: jujube. I planted a couple of jujubes (as started trees already a couple of years old) a year or two ago, and one of them is loaded with fruit right now. The fruit is mild, lightly sweet, and pleasant. Easy to dry and thus preserve without energy intensive processing. But a friend tells me that he's been working with varieties that are so productive they offer an ideal alternative for distilling fuel alcohol.

I'm writing an article on living fences, and that's the focus of my interest at the moment in jujube: Jujube is an excellent candidate for living fences, offering in addition to a barrier hedge (and the mature tree is thorny, so has deterrent value) its edible fruits (used medicinally in Asian medical traditions), leaves for fodder, fuelwood, wood (very hard) for making farm implements, and alcohol.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

I truly believe that as long as we have not found peace with the soil, we
won't find peace above the ground. That as long as we justify the
exploitation of any organism, other exploitations will follow and we will
remain parasites, consuming more than participating, and spiralling into
entropy until we commit mass suicide. ~Emilia Hazelip