livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Do some people really understand 'food'?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Terry Wereb" <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Do some people really understand 'food'?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:19:51 -0400

 I was getting my truck loaded for work last night-- impertenant youngster stated  I should not be 'killing rabbits' for meat-- that pure vegetarianism was the way to go---
 I asked him if he understood " All Flesh is Grass..." and he looked at me funny-- stated one could get all the protein one needs from plants--- that NO meat protein ever touched his lips-- this, as he sucked on something that  had 'beef tallow' in it...hmmmm.

 I told him all proteins are made up of amino acid chains-- that meat contained 'complete proteins' while plants did not. That even his DNA structures were just the specific assembly of the amino acids-- of course, the concept of all life being based on the way that a few acids were paired and ordered is just something his little head is not open to--- after all-- there IS no such thing as an obligate carnivore, or obligate herbivore, is there? I  wonder why Nature gave us different types of digestive systems if we were all meant to be obligate herbivores.... And I do not find it coincidental that I, personally, feel better all over when I get  some GOOD red meat into my diet, than when I am trying to meet my needs at the end of the month with plant proteins and rice....

 oh, I also have no sense of 'fashion'-- I uess oil-based clothing is the way to go-- instead of cotton or other natural fibers that are readily recycled in many ways...No folks, it does not bother me to wear leather--and by wearing clothes that do not waste material, am I not being a bit mor responsible to nature?
 Ah well-- youth-- maybe he will learn-- like when he needs something to eat, and the only food available is the chicken someone like me has it in their back yard, 'on the hoof'!!!

 Trry W

  • [Livingontheland] Do some people really understand 'food'?, Terry Wereb, 09/02/2008