livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Forest Garden (E. E. Mitchamore Jr)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: scakya@lobo.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Forest Garden (E. E. Mitchamore Jr)
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:16:44 -0600

Hi Mitch,
Mollison lists many plants in his Introduction to Permaculture book as to uses/ likely locations to thrive.They are in Appendix A.
Much of what I do here is get the main plants established and add the layers in. Our sun is pretty intense and it can fry some plants rapidly that wouldn't have the problem at lower altitudes. For instance my comfrey is on the drip line of an established russian olive, while gooseberries are under the tree away from the drip line. Learned by doing and letting the plants show me what they wanted.
I'm having to start from scratch on my forest gardening as we had very few trees here to begin with. Just an overgrazed and eroded piece of land three years ago. Lots of tumbleweed, goat's head with occasional chamisa and yucca(grazed down to their roots).
So far have planted 150+ fruit and nut trees and like you am working towards a nursery. Am planting in between rows by using a thick mulch and letting it set over winter. Planting into it directly come spring.
Have had good luck with my jujubes here. Have 10 and will be adding more varieties of the cold hardy types. Currently have Li and Lang.
This is generally windy location, so planting wind breaks is one of my priorities for both wind and erosion control.Using the hedge rows to plant oak, hickory, northern pecan, maple,walnuts, almonds(russian types love it here) and a slew of under story plants including the bramble and herb contingents. Forgot to mention my adventures in the mycellium world-just for eating and medicines though-they are an important part of a thriving forest garden. It's not perfect, but like you I'm working with what I have. One wheelbarrow at a time, one plant at a time.

Will check out your website.
Have a Tree...medous day,
Pat
NM

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Forest Garden (E. E. Mitchamore Jr), scakya, 09/01/2008