livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Forest Garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: scakya@lobo.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Forest Garden
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:05:45 -0600

Hi Mitch,
I'm doing a forest garden in central New Mexico. Being an avid reader and this being dry country in high desert(12 inches a year precipitation)one learns quickly what works in a particular location. As I live in a mountain valley, drying winds can be a concern as can the general lack of moisture in the air, and of course the intense sun we seem to have developed the last few years at 6250'.
How well do you know your location? Have you taken notes on temperatures and winds, gotten to know your soil, paid attention to the natural plants/shrubs and trees in a 25 mile radius, watched when it rains top see how it flows and where, etc? These are yours starting points.
What do you want to accomplish? Supplement your pantry,feed wildlife or....
Even when you think you've got it figured out, nature has a tendency to surprise, so that is something you take into consideration also. A simple wind break might make the difference in a plant getting established and moving onto thriving where as lacking one-it just survives or worse-fails.
Learn your land, read, read, read and take any classes that may assist you in creating not only a forest garden, but how to take care of it. Forest gardening,Permaculture introduction, orchard care taking, soil, mycellium, beekeeping, bird identification, and so on are just a few classes that can aid you in creating a successful forest garden.
If you need suggestions in reading material or websites just let me know and I'll be happy to share what little I know.
Have a tree...mendous day,
Pat Maas
NM

Message: 2