livingontheland - [Livingontheland] blue corn pic and questions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] blue corn pic and questions
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm beginning to harvest the little bit of Hopi blue corn that I grew this
year.

Can someone tell me more about seed saving for corn, like am I right that I
should just save the kernels from the longer ears with the 12 rows?

photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22581075@N04/?saved=1

The majority of the ears were blue and about 12" long, with between 8 and 12
rows, while there was this one shorter ear with the variegated blue/white
color and two that were short and more red. I'm assuming I should just feed
the different colored ears to the pigs?

thanks,
Carrie