livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Produce from 600+ year old seeds DEF

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Desert Eagle" <jimi@hdc-nm.com>
  • To: "Desert Eagle" <jimi@hdc-nm.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Produce from 600+ year old seeds DEF
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:52:47 -0600

A picture of the first year ears from some truly "Heirloom Corn Seeds".
These were given to me from a friend who received them at their University
Agriculture department and were requested to try them in different climates
and regions. From the description, the parent seeds were found in an Inca,
or other Indian silo in the Yucatan Peninsula, and are estimated to have
been over 600 years old. I had about a 70% germination rate on the seeds,
and I was surprised at that. These will be the seed stock for next year of a
truly Heirloom verity of corn for us. To say I am happy or proud would be an
understatement. I am going to treat these ears as if they were GOLD.
Jimi
NM Certified Master Gardener
Desert Eagle Farms
A Privately operated
Agricultural Research Facility
Lakewood, NM 88254

Jimi
USCG ITWPATWT 100% Vet

  • [Livingontheland] Produce from 600+ year old seeds DEF, Desert Eagle, 08/22/2008