livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Dairy Goats

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Velma Ward <champpeak@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Dairy Goats
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:02:20 -0700 (PDT)

I live in South Central New Mexico and raise registered Dairy Goats. I have Lamanchas and Mini Lamanchas. The Mini's are a cross between Nigerian Dwarfs and Lamanchas. Nigerian Dwarfs are very hard to milk , thus the breeding with the larger breeds to develop a mid-sized dairy goat with an ancestry of excellent milk. My minis give me about a gallon a day during peak season. They are of very good tempermant, actually very loving and cost little to feed unless you have a great big herd. The cheese that I can make is also excellent, althouh the Grade A Dairy Standards in New Mexico make it impossible for a small farm to be able to sell milk and cheese. Other states have less strictrules that allow small farmers to market their products without having a pasteurizer that holds 200 gallons of milk. If you are interested in purchasing dairy goats, I would be happy to talk to you.