livingontheland - [Livingontheland] something is happening out there

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] something is happening out there
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:36:28 -0600

Months ago we were predicting the market for local produce would improve,
with more customers looking for safe food and prices rising across the board.
But it's still unnerving to see it happen. Our tomatoes sold out quickly at
$5.00 lb at Cedar Crest, and we sold for $3.00 lb last season. Now we'll have
to raise the price again. A friend of ours told us he sold his eggs at
Corrales at $4.50 doz. and sold out 28 doz. in 15 minutes. And this is not a
high cost of living area.

What's happening? So many recalls, tomato scares, spinach, e.coli,
salmonella, the list goes on and on. Folks can't trust food stores anymore.
The word's out that even Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck?) had to pull ground
beef in most states.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
Old World Gardens, best tasting heirloom European varieties grown naturally

Many types of jobs will cease to exist: public relations executive,
marketing directors, et cetera. I think work will be very hands-on,
and a lot of it will revolve around food production.
-- James Howard Kunstler, 2003

  • [Livingontheland] something is happening out there, Tradingpost, 08/14/2008