livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why the Hype About Local Food May Be More than Just a Trend

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why the Hype About Local Food May Be More than Just a Trend
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:25:55 -0400

At 12:47 AM 8/5/2008, you wrote:

Good article, but I had to smile at the identification of arugula and goat cheese with effete connoisseurs. In most parts of the world, those, or the local equivalent thereof, are peasant foods,.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com

I am sure that certain elements of the Slow Food world will behave like effete connoisseurs and fawn over the local argula and goat cheese. But really, is that so bad? Why shouldn't people start to express their affection and appreciation for local food? If cultural snobs and the wealthy can embrace a populist trend without coopting it -- validating it with their presence and boosting it with their dollars -- I say, bring 'em on. Let everyone celebrate the taste of local food -- and then move on to the political and economic realities that sustain it.