livingontheland - [Livingontheland] MSG Update, Summer 2007

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] MSG Update, Summer 2007
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:25:38 -0600

MSG Update, Summer 2007
http://www.westonaprice.org/msg/msg-update-2007su.html
By Jack L. Samuels

People have been asking for the latest news regarding processed free glutamic
acid (MSG). Not a week goes by that I do not receive several questions by
email through our website, www.truthinlabeling.org, asking why the Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) allows MSG to be included in foods without clear
disclosure, and what is being done about the fact that so many people are
reacting to MSG.

The government is doing nothing about MSG... unless you want to count their
support of big business. The last FDA action regarding disclosure of MSG in
processed foods was published in the Federal Register in 1993. This
inadequate proposal for regulation was dropped with no action following
dismissal of the federal lawsuit, which was initiated by the Truth in
Labeling Campaign and concerned citizens asking the courts to force the FDA
to require full disclosure of MSG on food labels.

Case Dismissed

As previously reported, in order for us to win our lawsuit, we had to
demonstrate that the FDA had been arbitrary and capricious in its handling of
the MSG issue. We believed that this would have been demonstrated through the
court's review of certain documents we requested under the discovery process.
The FDA refused to produce the documents we requested, claiming protection
from such disclosure under the Administrative Procedures Act. The court
allowed the FDA to keep the requested documents from the court, resulting in
a dismissal of our case on the grounds that congress had given the FDA the
power to determine what was safe. We could not prove that the FDA had acted
improperly without the documents the FDA refused to show the court.

Following the loss of our lawsuit, a sympathetic congressman asked for one of
the documents we had requested in court. After first trying to present the
congressman with the wrong document, the FDA advised us, in writing, that the
document we requested, a document that was earlier denied us under a Freedom
of Information Act request, was unavailable and probably destroyed. The
document in question was a study that cost the FDA over $500,000.

Mislabeling

Through the years, more and more food companies have begun to display "No
MSG" or "No added MSG" prominently on processed food labels, all while
contending that there is no concern about MSG in food. Most of these products
do contain MSG in a "hidden" form. Such products are mislabeled, as defined
in an FDA Backgrounder dated August 31, 1995, but still in use, and such
labeling is considered deceptive and misleading under Section 403(a)(1) of
the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The FDA has rarely taken action
against companies that have mislabeled foods and, to our knowledge, has not
taken such action regarding the mislabeled use of MSG in recent years.

For a number of years, I visited members of congress in Washington to ask
that action be taken to force full disclosure of MSG on processed food
labels. Rarely did I enter an office without finding that at least one staff
member talked of their problems with MSG or the problems that one or more of
their loved ones had with MSG. In several cases, the legislators admitted
that they had an MSG-sensitive spouse. Yet, nothing has ever been done
legislatively to force full disclosure of MSG on processed food labels.

Over the past several years, Republican members of congress failed to take
action on the MSG issue, and some of the Democrats that I spoke to claimed
that nothing would be done while the Republicans controlled congress. Now
that the Democrats control congress, I wonder what the new excuse will be.

Reactions

In the meantime, the Republican-controlled congress passed the Food Allergen
Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-282, Title II),
and we are now beginning to see full disclosure on food labels of what the
FDA contends are the eight allergens that cause 90 percent of food allergies.
They are milk, eggs, fish (e.g., bass, flounder, cod), crustacean shellfish
(e.g., crab, lobster, shrimp), tree nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts, pecans),
peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.1 MSG is not covered by the Act.

According to the FDA, an estimated 2 percent of adults and about 5 percent of
infants and young children in the U.S. suffer from food allergies, with
approximately 30,000 consumers requiring emergency room treatment and 150
Americans dying each year because of allergic reactions to food.
Interestingly, the FDA has stated that 25 percent of our population
incorrectly believe that they have food allergies, a figure that just happens
to match the 25-30 percent of subjects reported to react to MSG in
epidemiological studies conducted in the 1970s, based on the amount of MSG in
processed foods at that time.2,3,4

With the ever increasing use of MSG in processed foods (hidden under more
than 40 difference ingredient names—see
www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html), and even being sprayed on our
crops (see www.truthinlabeling.org/msgsprayed.html), it would not surprise me
that over 40 percent of our population are experiencing at least periodic
reactions from MSG.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome

I have been told that the most common condition found in physicians' offices
today is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a condition that I believe is the
result of all of the hidden forms of MSG in our food supply, and the use of
aspartame. (Neuroscientists have found in animal studies that aspartic acid,
which comprises about 40 percent of aspartame, loads on the same receptors as
does glutamic acid, causes identical brain lesions and neuroendocrine
disorders as does glutamic acid, and acts in an additive fashion with
glutamic acid.) Yet, to my knowledge, scientist have not looked at an MSG
link to IBS, a diagnosis that is primarily based on conditions presented to a
physician rather than through a diagnostic procedure.
Obesity

In the summer, 2004 issue of Wise Traditions, I reported that MSG was likely
the main cause of the obesity epidemic (see
www.truthinlabeling.org/obesityepidemic.html), but governmental agencies and
the media continue to blame a lack of exercise and high-fat foods. Recently,
studies supporting this thesis have appeared in scientific journals,5,6 but
our government agencies still refuse to look at MSG as a possible cause for
much of the obesity problem, and our efforts to submit our findings to the
American Diabetes Association have failed, even though obesity has been
acknowledged to be a major contributor to the diabetes epidemic. In the
meantime, a number of scientists who have seen our article on MSG-induced
obesity have advised us that regular intake of MSG would affect insulin
levels, resulting in reduced glucose levels and a feeling of hunger.

This certainly makes sense since over the years, we have had a number of
people who have reported weight gain when they regularly ingest MSG. H. J.
Roberts, MD, a board certified internist who has extensively studied the
effects of aspartame, reported in 1990 that 34 patients he treated had gained
weight while using aspartame. The average weight gain was 19 pounds and one
of his patients gained 50 pounds while using diet soda sweetened with
aspartame.7
Autism

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently
acknowledged that the incidence of autism in our country is now one in 150
children. For years, I have believed that there is a connection between MSG
and autism, with particular concern that hidden sources of MSG are used in
every vaccine that I have reviewed and in every infant formula on the market.

Vaccines also contain mercury, and one study found that mercury, in the
presence of free glutamic acid increases the effects of neurotoxic glutamic
acid.10 Up until recently, mercury-containing thimerosal was a common
ingredient in vaccines. It is now reported that thimerosal has been removed
from some vaccines, but it has been found to be present in small, undisclosed
amounts in some "thimerosal free" vaccines. I suspect that thimerosal is
being used in the medium in which bacteria used in vaccines are grown.

Recently, scientists reported that autistic children have a defect in their
glutamate transport systems.11 It is of interest to note that several
alternative medicine practitioners who treat autistic children have told me
that autistic children appear to be MSG-sensitive, and, in fact, are highly
allergic individuals.

Glutamate-Blocking Drugs

In May, 1998, The National Institutes of Health conducted a two day symposium
entitled "The Glutamate Cascade: Common Pathways of Central Nervous System
Disease States." Speakers and audience members came from around the globe to
discuss the effects of glutamate and its involvement in certain medical
conditions. The underlying message was the need for pharmaceutical companies
to develop glutamate-blocking drugs.

At that time, the pharmaceutical industry believed that it would be
relatively easy to develop glutamate-blocking drugs, but that was not to be
the case. Now, however, almost ten years later, some glutamate blocking drugs
are beginning to come to market. For example, Namenda is now on the market as
an effective treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's Disease.

Rilutek, another glutamate-blocking drug, is now marketed for the treatment
for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's Disease). It is the
only drug currently licensed for the treatment of ALS.

Both Namenda and Rilutek are being studied for treatment of another severe
neurodegenerative condition, Huntington's Disease. In a report on the study,
researchers stated,

"... a drug called memantine [Namenda], which is used to treat Alzheimer's
disease, and Riluzole [Rilotek], used in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, did
protect the cells. Memantine demonstrated a stronger effect in the study.
Memantine has also shown evidence of retarding the progression of
Huntington's in people, while Riluzole has helped relieve some symptoms."12

BBC News has announced that glutamate-blocking drugs being developed for
treatment of strokes may also be helpful in the treatment of multiple
sclerosis,13 and such prestigious organizations as the University of Maryland
Medical School have stated, "A number of experimental drugs are being
investigated for Parkinson's disease because they block the actions of
glutamate, an amino acid that is a particularly potent nerve cell killer.
Some of these drugs block a receptor group to glutamate called
N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA). NMDA antagonists are showing some promise for
reducing symptoms of Parkinson's disease, particularly tremor."14

Richard Hennebery, PhD, a neuroscientist, stated it well when he testified at
an open meeting on April 7, 1993, held by the Federation of American
Societies for Experimental Biology in conjunction with an FDA-funded study
they were conducting on the safety of MSG in food. He said, "I consider it
ironic that the pharmaceutical industry is investing vast resources in the
development of glutamate receptor blockers to protect CNS [central nervous
system] neurons against glutamate neurotoxicity in common neurological
disorders, while at the same time the food industry, with the blessing of the
FDA, continues to add great quantities of glutamate to the food supply.15

Government Stonewall

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), relying, at least in part, on
claims of the FDA that MSG is safe, has allowed the use of free glutamic
acid, a known neurotoxic amino acid and endocrine disruptor, on all
agricultural crops. The EPA continues to approve the use of AuxiGro WP
Metabolic Primer (AuxiGro) for use on crops, a product that contains over 30
percent processed free glutamic acid (MSG).

The FDA has approved countless new food ingredients that include processed
free glutamic acid (MSG).

The FDA has refused to take action against companies that mislabel foods
regarding MSG or to take action to require disclosure of MSG on food labels.

Our government has allowed the introduction of an artificial flavor to
replicate the effects of MSG without requiring testing for adverse reactions.
The product, called Senomyx, is heavily financed by such food giants as Kraft
Foods Global, Inc., Nestle SA, Campbell's Soup Company, The Coca-Cola
Company, Cadbury Co., and Ajinomoto Co., Inc. Senomyx, Inc. claims that they
will follow their MSG replacement product with a sugar substitute and a salt
substitute. Company literature tells us that Senomyx products work
neurologically, using the same pathways as those used by MSG to perceive
enhanced flavor.

Recent efforts to ban aspartame in New Mexico were defeated, apparently
through the efforts of a number of industry lobbyists. In recent years, there
has been activity in the Republic of the Philippines to ban aspartame, but
industry forces have kept such a ban from being approved.
Conclusion

There is no question in my mind that the effects of MSG on the health of our
nation and, in fact, the health of other nations that are now using the same
processed foods that we use, is even greater than informed people like myself
believed. MSG use in our food supply may turn out to be a more severe problem
than the use of tobacco.

I personally believe that each and every congressman and senator should be
embarrassed to represent a government that brags about passing the Food
Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act, a law that may help 2 percent
of the population. Meanwhile, MSG, a well-known neurotoxic, endocrine
disrupting substance, is being sprayed on fields and added to processed foods
in ever increasing amounts, and there is no effort to require full disclosure
of MSG on food labels even though it is clearly stated in the literature that
MSG adversely affects more than 25 percent of the population, and, in many
cases, is causing life-threatening and life-altering reactions.

As we lead up to another presidential election, I cannot believe that our
congress would remain silent on the MSG issue if every member of the Weston
A. Price Foundation would write to their congressman and senators in
Washington and insist that the FDA be required to have all MSG fully
disclosed on food labels. I would suggest that, when appropriate, the
writer's reaction to MSG should be stated, and the difficulty in identifying
MSG from food labels and obtaining reliable information from food producers
and sellers should be reported. Proper disclosure of MSG on labels of
processed food would require that food producers have every processed food
analyzed for free glutamic acid, post production, and that if free glutamic
acid was found in the food that it be disclosed on the label as "MSG," with
the amount present stated in milligrams. After the initial analysis of
processed foods on the market, analysis would only be required for new
products and any product that undergoes a change in recipe. The cost to a
company would be less than $100 per product, a small expense for improved
health in our country.

Sidebars
MSG and Cancer

Russell L. Blaylock, M.D., author of the outstanding book, Excitotoxins: The
Taste that Kills, in a September 27, 2006 interview with Mike Adams of
NewsTarget.com stated that MSG and aspartame have been found to dramatically
promote cancer growth and metastasis, making cancer cells more mobile. Dr.
Blaylock also reported that researchers have found that glutamate blockers,
when administered with conventional pharmaceuticals like chemotherapy drugs,
significantly enhance the effects of the cancer drugs.

In 1993, the Truth in Labeling Campaign advised the FDA that acid-hydrolyzed
proteins are accompanied by carcinogenic propanols. (In the US, acid
hydrolysis is the most common method of hydrolyzing proteins because it is
the least expensive and most efficient method of hydrolysis.) The FDA advised
us that the amount of carcinogens from acid hydrolyzed proteins was too low
to be a concern for humans. However, in the last several years, the food
regulatory agency in England has removed certain sauces from grocers' shelves
because of a level of carcinogens that they believed to be unsafe. Recently,
the English agency acknowledged to me that all of the recalled items
contained an acid-hydrolyzed protein, and the carcinogenic agents were
propanols. Now, as the English government works on an international level to
resolve the problem, the FDA has joined forces with them.

In 1978, Nemeroff and co-workers found that the levels of the hormone
prolactin were elevated in MSG-treated male rats.8 Recognizing that the
excessive use of MSG can increase prolactin levels, and that increased
prolactin levels could affect the health of prostate and breast tissue, I
contacted scientists, but no research followed on the subject. Now, in 2006,
Harvey and co-workers have published a paper in which they state that "...
recent findings from human epidemiology and molecular biology suggest that
prolactin is a risk factor for breast cancer, and probably prostate cancer."9
MSG and Bees

In early 2007, the news media reported that honeybees were vanishing, placing
crops and beekeepers at peril. To date, no reason for the mass death of
honeybees has been found, but I cannot help but wonder if the increased use
of AuxiGro WP Metabolic Primer (AuxiGro) throughout our nation, with its
content of more than 30% neurotoxic processed free glutamic acid (MSG), could
be a factor. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and at least
three major organizations involved with bees have been contacted without
reply.