livingontheland - [Livingontheland] California becomes first state to ban trans fats

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] California becomes first state to ban trans fats
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:45:02 -0600

Transfat is hydrogenated vegetable oil, implicated in plaque formation. We
switched back to real butter some years ago, but it's hard to avoid on the
road sometimes.
------------------

Schwarzenegger signs trans fat ban
By Jim Sanders - jsanders@sacbee.com
http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/1109963.html
Last Updated 12:10 pm PDT Friday, July 25, 2008

California will be the first state to ban trans fats in restaurants and
bakeries under legislation signed today by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The measure requires restaurants to quit using trans fats by January 2010,
and for bakeries to follow suit one year later.

"Consuming trans fat is linked to coronary heart disease, and today we are
taking a strong step toward creating a healthier future for California,"
Schwarzenegger said in a written statement.

The legislation, Assembly Bill 97, was proposed by Democratic Assemblyman
Tony Mendoza of Artesia and opposed by most Republicans.

Trans fats, also known as trans fatty acids, can increase the shelf life and
flavor stability of foods but has been linked to heart disease by medical
research.

The substance often is found in vegetable shortenings, some margarines,
cookies, crackers and other products made with, or fried in, partially
hydrogenated oils, according to a Senate analysis of AB 97.

Eateries that violate the new law would be subject to fines ranging from $25
to $1,000.

Mendoza's bill does not apply to trans fats in packaged goods sold in stores.

The California Restaurant Association had opposed AB 97 as a "very narrow and
misleading approach to a much larger health issue."

Banning trans fats, without taking other steps, will not significantly
improve Californians' health, the restaurant association said in a letter.

Reducing use of trans fats could increase the use of saturated fats and other
alternatives that "may have the same negative health impacts," the group said.

Ethnic-food restaurants could be hit particularly hard by a ban on trans
fats, because some of their entrees are difficult to prepare with
substitutes, the restaurant association added.

Many restaurants voluntarily have agreed to crack down in recent years.

Wendy's, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Red Lobster, Olive Garden,
Applebee's, El Pollo Loco and Denny's are among eateries that previously had
committed to fully or partially eliminating their use of trans fats,
according to the restaurant association.

Daniel Conway, spokesman for the restaurant association, said Friday that any
restrictions on trans fats should be the imposed by the federal government,
not left to each state.

But Conway indicated that AB 97 will not wreak havoc on restaurateurs.

"Given the fact that our industry is already moving away from trans fats in
response to some of the wishes and desires of our customers, and given the
delayed implementation of AB 97, we're confident that our members will be
able to meet the mandates of the bill," he said.

  • [Livingontheland] California becomes first state to ban trans fats, Tradingpost, 07/25/2008