livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: wo new thoughts on NAIS From the NC_Against_NAIS group

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: wo new thoughts on NAIS From the NC_Against_NAIS group
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:28:20 -0400

wo new thoughts on NAIS

Posted by: "cgn5613" cgn5613@yahoo.com   cgn5613

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 am (PDT)

Here are two thoughts about NAIS I have not seen elsewhere. I posted
them on another site.

"Tom & Diane" <windtimwald@...> wrote:

> The trouble with reporting all those movements is the cost. That is
our cost. Every reported movement requires a change in the database and
there will be a charge for that change. The private databases for
microchiped animals are now charging $6 for each record change.

One point I have not seen is this: The $6 charge is a free market
price where there is competition. The USDA plans to farm the database
out to Cattlenet and buddies. This is NOT a FREE MARKET!!!

There is nothing to prevent a $20, $50 or a $100 charge for each entry.

Since the Corporate herds are moved in mass with one charge a $100
charge for 100 head of cattle is nothing. To a show animal $200 per
show breaks the bank, thus getting rid of any competition that is left.

, introduced legislation titled
> "The Foot and Mouth Disease Protection Act of 2008" to protect
> the U.S. from the introduction of foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) from
> Argentina.

Nice start but what about Brazil?

"...The Irish Farmers' Association (IFA) president ...Padraig Walsh
said the latest FVO (EU Food & Veterinary Office) report is damning in
its criticism of Brazil. Alarmingly, the FVO uncovered and documented
unreported FMD outbreaks in Brazil and a total failure on animal
identification, holding registration and movement controls...."

Seems Brazil has NAIS, Premises ID, and it is a total fiasco...

I wonder if once we have NAIS and Premises ID if the EU Food &
Veterinary Office will be coming to inspect USA FARMS!!!!!

--
visit our farm site at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/

visit our stores at:
http://sweetspringfarm.blujay.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=2738

  • [Livingontheland] Fwd: wo new thoughts on NAIS From the NC_Against_NAIS group, Norma Sutton, 07/18/2008