livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 151, Issue 3

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: bobbyg53211@yahoo.com, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 151, Issue 3
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:00:44 -0400

At 04:25 PM 7/16/2008, you wrote:

Liz, i would say that some of our grasses are already perennials in that one form of propagation--the rhizomes--outproduces the other, seeds.

Case in point would be the invasive Reed canary grass (Phalaris arundinacea) which plagues these midwestern states like Wisconsin. Once a stand of Phalaris is established, it spreads by rhizomes. Just in case someone digs up the rhizomes to get rid of it, then it sends its seeds on the wind to re-establish that stand.

Thank you. I realized after I posted that I did know about perennial rye, but I hadn't thought of it as a food source. Around here, it's used primarily for erosion control.

I'm very thankful I don't have to deal with canary grass!

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com