livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Pete Seeger to do benefit for New England farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Pete Seeger to do benefit for New England farmers
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 11:42:16 -0600

Last updated July 12, 2008 7:52 a.m. PT
Pete Seeger to do benefit for New England farmers
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/1403ap_people_seeger.html
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BRATTLEBORO, Vt. -- Folk singer Pete Seeger is coming to the aid of New
England farmers.

Seeger will headline a Sept. 13 New England Farm Relief Concert in
Brattleboro to raise money for a new micro-loan program being developed by
The Carrot Project and the organization that operates the town's annual
Strolling of the Heifers.

Seeger, 89, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is known for hits
including "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," "If I Had a Hammer" and "Turn,
Turn, Turn."

The Carrot Project, a nonprofit based in Somerville, Mass., makes loans and
guarantees available for small farms and people who use environmentally
friendly practices. The Strolling of the Heifers is an annual event in
Brattleboro in which flower-bedecked young cows are paraded down Main Street
to celebrate Vermont's agricultural tradition.

"We're truly honored that Pete Seeger has chosen to benefit Strolling of the
Heifers and our micro-loan program in one of the very few performances he
will make this year," said Orly Munzing, chair of Strolling of the Heifers.

  • [Livingontheland] Pete Seeger to do benefit for New England farmers, Tradingpost, 07/12/2008