livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fresh Produce Daily

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fresh Produce Daily
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 18:10:58 -0600

Doing something is better than nothing ;-) I don't envy fighting bermuda
grass, but sometimes bringing in fresh soil over weed barrier on the bottom
is the only way to beat the hassle. As for varieties I recommend heirlooms,
all open pollinated, for reliability and good taste. They've survived for
generations handed down through families or held a place in old seed house
catalogs. Seed starting is great to get that head start on the season. And
yes, fun for the kids. I do seeding mostly in 3 1/2" pots in plastic flats
that hold 18 of them. A LOT of flats. Roots get less damage transplanting
out. Even squash which isn't supposed to survive transplant well.

We grow for market as well as home storage, but we're happy to recommend the
varieties that do esp well for us. Like Lakota squash
http://www.nativegardens.net/lakota.htm .