livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] farmers' market Bringing Food to the People

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] farmers' market Bringing Food to the People
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 20:44:31 -0700

"The USDA estimates that between 30,000 and 50,000 farmers sell at farmers' markets.
They are one of the most important factors in the tidal wave of interest in local food and
the mini-revival of small farms."

Farmer's markets are an important outlet for small organic farmers. Even though you can buy organic at Safeway and Wal Mart they do not necessarily support small farmers. Large grocery outlets like to have contracts for a large amount of a small number of varieties. Small farmers at Farmer's Markets can sell many varieties and provide a much greater choice for the consumer and a lesser chance for a single crop failure for themselves.

I was at the Palo Alto and Menlo Park farmers market last Sunday helping set up. I won't be there but he will be setting up at the San Francisco and Sunnyvale markets this Saturday. If we can get another truck running there is another market he will sell at.

Don Bowen KI6DIU