livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Alternative cows find their dairy niche

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Alternative cows find their dairy niche
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 20:38:38 -0700

Just a FYI - it turns out that nigerian dwarf milk is A1 casein like most cows (some are predominantly A2 like guernsey) so if you are one of those folks that is sensitive to cows milk make sure you try some nigerian milk before you jump on the mini bandwagon.  Or clear that sensitivity with EFT:o) and then you can drink whatever you want.

I have nubians (small raw goat dairy) as well as a jersey cow that is very sweet but I really dont like to milk cows.  goats are much much easier and the nubian milk tastes much better then the jersey milk.  I am dabbling in mini nubians and Nigora (dual purpose milk/fiber nigerian dwarf x angora) as homestead animals.  I may try my hand at milking sheep if I can ever get those Tamaracks from Janet McNalley.  Hard to get sheep from Minnesota to Oregon though.  I have milked a couple of my friendlier cormo girls but the milk wasnt nearly as good as the nubian milk.

YMMV -

Aliza