livingontheland - [Livingontheland] converting a deep bedded pen to garden space

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <realfood@wonderfulfarm.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] converting a deep bedded pen to garden space
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 11:07:15 -0700

I am converting a pen that was deep bedded for goats over the winter into a garden space.  I have to take the shed roof off it still but then I want to be able to plant it in summer fruits - squash, melons, cucumber etc.  stuff that likes the heavy feeding.  This pen was the shelter for my bucks (they have scads of pasture as well) and is basically a foot or more deep in alfalfa hay/manure deep bedded because I had a big water problem - like there is a winter spring under this area LOL - not for livestock anymore -  anyway.......   will I need to do anything special aside from soaking it well before planting?  I assume that the goat manure/alfalfa mix wont cause too much of a problem for these types of plants in terms of burning.

Any suggestions?  This is a full sun area all summer long and I am so glad to be reclaiming it for garden space especially because of the winter water issue.

aliza
in sort of sunny and a little dampy warm feeling Ashland, Oregon

  • [Livingontheland] converting a deep bedded pen to garden space, Aliza, 05/03/2008