livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Need suggestions on how to hull buckwheat

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Need suggestions on how to hull buckwheat
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:16:44 -0500

I have done some grinding of Buckwheat for feed uses. You don't so much 'hull' buckwheat as smash it. The starchy inside just crumbles, so there isn't really a 'separation'. You can grind it, and sift the powder out, but much will remain with the hull, depending on how fine your first grind is. 'dark' flour probably does a finer initial grind, and so more of the hulls get small enough to end up in the flour. Less loss that way, but less pretty, also.

I recommend running it through the chickens and eating the chickens or the eggs instead. Otherwise, you have to decide for yourself between high loss of starch or included hull pieces, depending on your grind and your screens. It's a nice nurse crop for alfalfa and to feed bees, but dealing with the seed crop is a royal pain, I think.

Dan C.
Belgium