livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] New Documentary 'King Corn' is a Lot More than Filler Fare

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] New Documentary 'King Corn' is a Lot More than Filler Fare
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 04:39:24 -0800 (PST)

The farmers in Mozambique told me that the corn they grow for selling is hybrid but the corn they grow for family food is old varieties. They said that the family has to have more bags of hybrid corn to get to the next season than old varieties. I learned that the hybrid corn has only about half the protein that the old varieties have.  Those uneducated farmers are no dumbies.

Ken H