livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fw: Living on the Land misc. tips

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fw: Living on the Land misc. tips
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:20:04 -0800

Topics in this digest:

1. Toothache and other medical challenges in the absence of professionals
2. Virtues of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats
3. Link for sourdough bread/wholewheat bread
4. Re: Tooth ache cure - cheap

1. Toothache and other medical challenges in the absence of professionals
    Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:55 pm ((PST))

The folks at Hesperian have online free for download
publications such as Where there is no Doctor, Where
there is no Dentist, etc.

http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php

Ronald Frederick Greek
Yuma, Arizona, USA
Attorney at Law

SustainableTucson@yahoogroups.com

"You can't solve a problem with the same kind of thinking that created it in the first place."
Albert Einstein

2. Virtues of Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats
    Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm ((PST))

I have Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats (does only, no bucks) within the
village limits of a small town in Vermont.  There are no zoning
regulations against livestock ownership in the town I live in (actually
someone told me there is a state law prohibiting restrictions but I
don't know if that is true).  They are short, 19-21 inches to the
withers, and easy to contain.  I have 5 foot fencing but wouldn't need
it to be that tall to keep them in - it is there to keep out predators.
So, yes, you need adequate fencing for goats because they can wreck
havoc in a short period.

But they are sweet gentle creatures and the milk, cheese, butter and
meat from them is fabulous (bucks stink and the meat is foul).  Goats
are far better at feed-to-milk conversion than cows and a good choice
(along with a big garden) for helping your family through rough times.

Linda in Vermont

3. Link for sourdough bread/whole wheat bread
    Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:00 pm ((PST))

Bread that is all whole wheat does not have to be dense and heavy
(although it usually is the way most people make it).

There are several styles/recipes of whole wheat bread that come out
with a similar light texture to "white" bread. Desem is our personal
favorite, a 100% WW bread with a normal texture and a great taste.
One of the big keys is grinding the wheat fine enough. If you are
grinding the wheat yourself with a hand grinder, you may have to put
it thru twice to get a really fine flour. Your finished flour should
feel very similar to store bought white flour. If it feels gritty and
course, you will have trouble getting a normal textured bread out of
it.

If you have the right type of wheat (hard/winter for bread), and are
grinding it fine enough, there is no reason you can't be making a
nutritious, good tasting loaf that has comparable texture (crumb) to
white bread.

Search on Desem (although getting the starter going and ready to rise
bread may take you a month or so). And this site:
http://www.sourdoughhome.com
has good intro to bread making and a all whole wheat recipe.

Steve in Colorado

4. Re: Tooth ache cure - cheap
    Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 pm ((PST))

Mouth washing with colloidal silver and/or hydrogen peroxide also both
kill the bacteria and fungus that is parasitic in the mouth. I do both
-- mostly colloidal silver (twice daily) and once a day or so with the
hydrogen peroxide. Speaking based on anecdotes, personally find that it
is effective. I am of course not qualified to make a scientific or
medical statement about it. We make our own colloidal silver (buying it
is way too expensive) and use it mainly as a fruit and vegetable wash
and as a mouthwash and topical solution.

Chris, Seattle, WA