livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Story -toxic wood ash - Rice seed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Story -toxic wood ash - Rice seed
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:26:34 -0700

On that first point. There seems to be a growing consensus these days that
just eating a wide variety of whole foods, fresh as possible and including
some meats, is the safest way to get the nutrition we need. This book of
Michael Pollan's I've been recommending shows how nutrition "experts" have
stumbled from one fad to another under the pressure of politics and
lobbyists and still don't begin to understand the complexities of human
nutrition. He calls it "nutritionism" - the notion that if we just identify
all the nutrients and put them in, then somehow we'll have all we need.
Independent studies show otherwise. He points out that traditional diets in
many cultures make people far healthier than the so-called Western diet
most Americans fall into. In that view, computer programs to calculate
nutritional needs and food is taking nutritionism to an extreme. My
suggestion is buy him a copy of In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.