livingontheland - [Livingontheland] no-till

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: jbyrd@centex.net, minifarms@gmail.com, rhf@airmail.net, susanich@earthlink.net, brad@homesweetfarm.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] no-till
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:02:16 -0800 (PST)

I watched a USDA video several years ago and on it the agent made this statement, "There is nothing more destructive of soil than a roto-tiller."

I wish I knew what to do to get gardeners and farmers to go no-till. I just keep preach'in.

The earth worms appreciate their home not being destroyed.  Soil appreciates not being ripped apart.  The rain appreciates going into the soil rather than running off carrying top soil with it.  The soil appreciates not being cooked by the sun. The farmer's body appreciates it for less work. The bank account appreciates it due to more profit.

The weeds' seeds hate it for not being brought to the surface to sprout.  Equipment dealers hate it due to no sales.

Ken H