livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mayan calendar

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mayan calendar
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:06:20 -0600 (CST)

This might be a bit more relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age

It's hard to attach relevance here with this group, other than to say that
there's huge social ramifications on human behavior, derived from its ongoing
struggle between the two camps of the physical (pagan) and the virtual
(institutionalized religions).

For a more in-depth view/opinion on all of this:

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

=====================
From: uriel <uriel@nasalam.org>
Date: 2007/12/25 Tue PM 12:33:38 CST

I've done a bit of studying of the Maya and their calendar. Some new age
folks have tried to portray this as an "end of the world" thing. The
reality is rather different. The date of Dec 21, 2012 was first brought
into prominence because researchers realized that the calendar comes to
an end on that date and it happens that the sun is conjunct with the
center of the galaxy at that time. The Maya thought this was of
sufficient import that when they began to use the calendar in the
2nd-3rd century BC they intentionally placed the beginning of the 5
millennia calendar some three thousand years in their past so that it
would end on this date in what we count as 2012.

Well, the sun is conjunct with the center of the galaxy every year, but
only rarely is the conjunction on the winter solstice. Even so, because
of how slowly the earth's rotation precedes itself, the winter solstice
conjunction has actually been happening since about 1998. So what is
happening is not something that is going to happen on a particular date,
but rather that things are progressing/evolving/changing up to that
date. The generally accepted view of students of the calendar is that we
can expect a radical change in the world, that the "world as we know it"
may well come to an end with the opportunity for something better to
take its place.

Personally, I think the kinds of things that are talked about in this
list are very much a part of that potential change for the better.

Uriel Andros

Dean wrote:
> I just read Paul's post on "As ethanol takes its first steps, Congress
> proposes a giant leap", like so many things it sounds good but steepens the
> downward spiral. There is a huge amount of momentum which is going to have
> to redirect for the situation to reverse. The thought of the Mayan
> calendar
> ending with the year 2012 often comes to mind. Does anyone have
> information
> on what may happen and the ramifications of these happenings? Dean

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Mayan calendar, activism98201, 12/25/2007