livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Home made Honey Maple Grapenuts

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Harold and Sue Karber" <karber@pldi.net>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@mail2.pldi.net>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Home made Honey Maple Grapenuts
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:50:59 -0600

Most on these lists have home grown naturally grown or organic stuff or buy pure foods or sell in local markets or to neighbors why not make more   products found in stores loved by kids.  Make them for less money, no gm products and know what is in them or have recipes to give to others to use those great eggs,cheese, milk,  flours, produce or fruits.   This site has some great sausage recipes.

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/recipe_collection.asp?subcategoryid=8    more homemade cereals and lots more breakfast ideas

Honey Maple Grapenuts   I tweak the amounts of sugars since we use more stevia and honey.  Don't be afraid to experiment.    I also buy powdered milk at a real health food store to get organic.   Regular would work.   Thing is we can tweak these recipes to our own on hand products and liking.    This is good hot or cold.

(12 servings)

  • 3 cups whole wheat or graham flour
  • 1/2 cup barley flour or rye flour
  • 1/3 cup tapioca flour or oat flour
  • 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup dry milk powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
  • 1/4 cup warmed honey or maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Sift the dry ingredients -- blend thoroughly.

Beat the liquid ingredients together.

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.

If resulting mixture is watery work in a little additional flour.

Spread on 2 or 3 baking sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes. Stir to break up granules and bake 10 minutes longer or until until golden brown.

Cool and store in air-tight container.

Makes about 2 pounds or roughly two boxes of cereal.

Three times the cereal at 1/3 the price!

Mr Breakfast would like to thank football for this recipe.

Recipe number 1083. Submitted 10/2/2003.

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/gift_jars.asp   breakfast in a jar gifts.

  • [Livingontheland] Home made Honey Maple Grapenuts, Harold and Sue Karber, 12/22/2007