livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Additional pressure on food availability

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Additional pressure on food availability
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:05:01 -0500

At 12:00 PM 12/15/2007, you wrote:
 I think that anything we discuss which helps us pull together to create markets for our produce and other rural productions as well as social structures that provide local satisfactions strengthens us as families and individuals. In the long run the success of an individual depends on the success of their community. I think that thee is no sustainability without vital communities.

Amen to that. And in spite of my defense of the food stamp program, I would much rather see a viable local system, initiated and sustained and managed by local residents through church ministries, people's own extended families, and whatever other community resources are available. Many factors have resulted in crippling those resources over the last couple of generations, though, and it's going to take a while to rebuild them.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com