livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Intensive Vegetable Gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Intensive Vegetable Gardening
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:14:31 -0800

One of the nice things we have going is the village where our place is
located. These people have been living on the land for generations and they
know how to do it. Very few of them are really dependent on the larger
economy. They take advantage of it where they can but they know how to live
without it.

Also they are very willing to teach a dumb gringo how things work. One
important social event is shelling corn together and making corn cakes. It
sounds kinda primitive but I've made some very good friends that way and we
sure get all the news that matters :-) Of course there are a lot of parties
and music and all but it's mostly homespun and gets to the root of things.