livingontheland - [Livingontheland] homemade water purifiers cont...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Douglas & Hillary Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] homemade water purifiers cont...
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 06:13:23 -0800

One of our neighbors built a homemade solar water distiller. It produces approximately 1 - 3 gallons of pure drinking water per day through condensation depending on the season. If you want to see a photo of it with a little more description please write me off list at drwillhite@earthlink.net

Last time I checked the static water level in our well the water table was only about 25 - 30' below the surface. So I imagine our aquifer is a wee bit more vulnerable to runoff from surface toxins than other folks with significantly deeper wells.

During the recent fire storms in nearby Ramona, CA, there was so much draw on the water table during the fire that it created a back pressure which sucked surface contaminants down into the aquifer. I want to be as ready as I can if that happens in our neighborhood.

Mucho gracias to everyone who contributed to this conversation without hastily dismissing my concerns.
Doug

"Here is a link to an inexpensive water test kit: http://www.ionizers.org/water-test-kits.html
Dean

"Deep wells are generally pretty safe, at least in most rural areas. This with a caveat regarding aquifer pollution. I worked on one project in Ohio where the aquifer was contaminated by a uranium processing plant. One also needs to be careful about nitrates and pesticides in agricultural areas. Near urban areas leaky underground gasoline storage tanks can be a problem but in this case the odor of petroleum products is generally obvious. It is a good idea to learn about your local aquifer and what potential sources of pollution may affect it."
Phil

"Here in Central Texas, the biggest aquifer, the Trinity Sands, is around 500' - 600' deep, so it's pretty clean.  However, wells are not cased all the way down, so a well can be contaminated by a shallower aquifer.  Local tests have shown that the limestone karsts can conduct pollutants into the shallower aquifers in three days.  From there into springs and wells."
E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz

  • [Livingontheland] homemade water purifiers cont..., Douglas Willhite, 11/17/2007