livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Beck on Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Living on the Land" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Beck on Agriculture
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:07:02 -0500

I came across the attached article in a small North Texas Natural Gardening magazine and thought it to be well-said.  Malcolm Beck has been Texas' preeminent spokesman for organic gardening and compost for a long time.  The last time I talked with him, he indicated that his current focus is on larger-scale farming and ranching, hoping to have a greater impact through mainstream agriculture.

Last weekend, we had our Native Plant Society of Texas annual State Symposium.  The theme was Prairies, and it was encouraging to hear a good bit of "natural" rangeland management discussed by various PhDs as key to preserving both our environment and our food supply

Also, yesterday I listened to a presentation by a spokesman from a North Texas company who (without prompting) said a lot of good things about use of composted manure from stockyards and reduced use of fertilizers, herbicides and water on high-plains cotton.  He spoke of the ethanol effect as "temporary", indicating it won't take folks very long to realize it won't work.  This from a guy who spends all his time with HUGE cotton farms.

There are some positive movements out there...

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz

  • [Livingontheland] Beck on Agriculture, E. E. Mitchamore Jr, 10/28/2007